PRIMA - the Partnership for Research and Innovation in the Mediterranean Area - aims to build research and innovation capacities and to develop knowledge and common innovative solutions in the Mediterranean in the three priority areas “water management”, “farming systems” and “agro-food value chains”. In this way, research and innovation can help solve major problems in the areas of nutrition, health, social well-being, and address causes of migration.
PRIMA consists of European Union Member States, Horizon 2020 Associated Countries and Mediterranean Partner Countries on an equal footing basis with the participation of the European Commission, under the framework of art.185 TFEU.
19 countries committed to the initiative to date: Algeria, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, Malta, Morocco, Portugal, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Spain, Slovenia, Tunisia, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Turkey.
The Calls for proposals are split into 2 sections:
Section 1 Calls: Actions and activities (Research & Innovation Actions (RIA), and Innovation actions (IA), as defined in the General Annexes of H2020) organised, managed and funded by PRIMA Foundation. The aim is to mobilise the Euro-Mediterranean scientific communities, stakeholders and private entities and to support a wide range of research and innovation projects expected to produce a socio-economic impact in the near future.
- Topic 1: Water reuse and water desalination for agricultural and food production
- Topic 2: Improving the sustainability of Mediterranean agro-ecosystems
- Topic 3: Implementing innovation in Mediterranean Agrofood chains by smallholders and SMEs
Detailed supporting information about the challenge, scope and the expected impacts for those topics is provided in the guidelines for applicants available on prima-med.org. The guidelines also provide all the necessary information to apply to the call. The total indicative amount allocated to this call is EUR 6.1 million.
Deadline for section 1 proposals:
- Stage 1: Pre-proposals - 17 April 2018
- Stage 2: Full proposals - 15 September 2018
Section 2 Call: Activities (Research and Innovation Activities (RIA) based on national rules) selected following transnational open and competitive call for proposals, organised by PRIMA Foundation. The PRIMA Foundation receives and evaluates proposals, while national agencies proceed with their eligibility in light of their national rules, take a decision on projects to be supported, contract their national researchers and fund them nationally.
The section 2 call funds collaborative research projects that should have an impact and contribute to demand and policy driven research. Section 2 focuses on a unique call for Research and innovation Action RIA, addressing 9 topics and the cross cutting issues among them. In fact, several topics are strongly interrelated leading to several cross-cutting themes such as soil sustainability and food security and enabling technologies. The total indicative amount allocated to this call is EUR 30 million.
- Thematic area 1: Sustainable water management for arid and semi-arid Mediterranean area (3 topics)
- Thematic area 2: Sustainable farming systems under Mediterranean environmental constraints (3 topics)
- Thematic area 3: Mediterranean Food Value Chain for regional and local development (3 topics)
Deadline for section 2 proposals:
- Stage 1: Pre-proposals – 27 March 2018
- Stage 2: Full proposals – 4 September 2018
For more information, please visit the PRIMA website.